Friday 17 December 2010

Her Fearful Symmetry


Last night we met at Darcy's house for our book group and the book chosen to read and for discussion this month was 'Her Fearful Symmetry' by Audrey Niffenegger. As it is nearly Christmas there were quiet a few nice chocolate treats and drinking wine before we got down to discussing the book.
One of the attractions of the book was that the story is centred around Highgate Cemetery in London as one or two people had been there and said that it was a definite 'must do' when visiting London. Jenny brought a book about the cemetery with wonderful photographs which we all had a look at and thought that some of the photos were very reminiscent of Dr Who!
Without spoiling the story it revolves around two sets of twins, one of which inherit their aunt's house close to Highgate cemetery in which they must live for a year, but in which their mother and father cannot step foot in.
Opinion was quite divided about the book some of us really enjoyed it but others found it difficult to enter into the book's divergence from reality.
Personally I really enjoyed the book (more than Audrey Niffenegger's first book 'The Time Traveller's Wife') and felt that it was well written and found the juxtaposing theme of confinement and freedom explored in the book really interesting.
This is a good book to read around Christmas time with it's Gothic, ghostly story and setting.

5 comments:

Darcy said...

I enjoyed the book very much too. I thought the descriptions of Highgate were wonderful. I've never been but am going to add it to my wish list for next year. I might even go and have a look at the swimming ponds!

Gina said...

I enjoyed this book this year too.

kristina said...

Really must visit Highgate Cemetery one of these days. Seems mad I haven't been when we really aren't that far away.

K x

Jenn said...

Wow. I'm glad to find out there are also other people who enjoyed this book! Almost everyone I've talked to said this book isn't good. But for me, it's wonderful!

Gonna post my review when I'm done reading it. :)

Jenn

http://wordsalad.tk

Jacqui Dodds said...

Darcy and Kristina - Highgate Cemetery is on my list of places to visit - it would also be good to take a camera and sketchbook.

Gina - thank you - glad you enjoyed the book.

Jenn - glad you are enjoying the book and that you have found people that apreciate it. I look forward to reading your review.