Wednesday 3 September 2008

Swatch Swop - Dark Turquoise


I have had a really good day today printing the second layer of colour onto my fabric swatch with my Venetian lino block design. The first colour was printed in grey and I decided to print the second offset layer in dark turquoise which is a colour that I associate with Venice.

One of the most important things to ensure when printing a second layer is to make sure the registration is right so that the print all lines up correctly. The method I was using was my own with marks on the lino block and a ruler:

Other things that I found essential were:

Using a firm and even surface to place the fabric onto whilst printing, I placed my fabric onto newspaper and then on a cutting mat. This was clearer than when I placed the fabric straight onto newspaper on the table.

Inking up the block thoroughly and then wiping excess ink off areas that were not going to be printed, this ensured a clean print of my image;

After inking up the block it needs to be printed quickly so that the ink does not dry up on the block and the image you are printing is clear;

Pressing the block down equally and firmly in all areas.

This was the result of the days printing and I was really pleased I shall wait for it to dry and fix with the iron before sending it off to Jesse:


I am so pleased with how my design worked that I may use part of the image and print it onto cards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks really lovely Jacqui - great choice of colour.